Wednesday 3 September 2008

Google Chrome? So far so good!

I downloaded Google Chrome first thing this morning, letting our Big Good Brother (aka BGB) to get even into this other personal space and learning a bit more than BGB already knows about me. I have welcomed at least four main things:
First, the incognito feature, which allows surfing webpages without leaving traces behind. The great thing is that you don't need to clear data and cookies, hence necessarily deleting hundreds of other saved log ins details. You simply open a new window in the 'incognito' mode. This came as absolutely timely and spot on for me: concerned about phishing and privacy issues, I was shifting to another 'user' access to execute important actions such as online banking.
Second, the user-centred home tab: what a great welcome to see clickable snapshots of all my favourite and most visited websites, in its uniquely clear Google style! And the recent bookmarks, search history and even the recently closed tabs! If I remember how many times I struggled to recover the websites I was navigating after closing accidentally the tab!
Connected, the independence of each tab in terms of processes and CPU - another great relief and peace of mind especially when I am doing some research as crushes here and there again won't compromise my whole online session
And last but not least, the embedded search tools, the 'one box for all': that's super cool BGB! Seemingly integrated with the address bar, I don't even need to use the plug-ins I recently got addicted to for quick searching. Of course, this all-in-one address bar and search tool will most likely boost the navigational search volume higher than already is and I suspect originated exactly from this common users’ habit, but again personally I can only benefit from it, it's faster, it's great, it makes me feel once more in control of the web, no matters how much Google revenues will levitate!

In short, Google Chrome has simply enhanced once more my personal online experience, showing again Google best feature, which is, its philanthropic character: the user is always top-of-mind, no matter if our Big Good Brother uses our expectations and deliver satisfaction as a 'means to an end' (namely, more profit and control)...I can’t recall many other moguls displaying the same approach for winning over competition.

No comments: